Your weekly weekend podcasting source recaps the biggest news in anticipation of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – Youko returns with Super and TonyTH to discuss the final Smash Direct and the Ultimate character roster, if we believed in the Box Theory or the Grinch Leak, World of Light’s succession to Subspace Emissary, the Spirits mode’s puzzling presentation, and a question from Dwight about our initial DLC character predictions
Your weekly weekend podcasting source recaps the biggest news in anticipation of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – Youko returns with Super and TonyTH to discuss 20 Yes/No questions that make up our Final Smash Direct predictions, such as whether or not The Grinch Leak is real, if the stage total will exceed 103, what Spirits mode actually will be, if a Global TestSmash or demo will be announced, and also our Big Boss Predictions before the truth comes out
(3:16) 20 YES/NO PREDICTIONS
• (3:21) Is the Grinch Leak real?
• (5:25) Will anyone “die,” like Mario and Luigi have, in a character reveal trailer?
• (6:18) After speculation about chairs and couch patterns, will Skull Kid be shown in any fashion – character, assist trophy, boss, etc. – during the Direct?
• (7:05) Will Sakurai or a Treehouse member confirm that as a result of this Direct, we have now seen the full launch character roster?
• (8:47) Will we see an updated banner image that includes all of the revealed characters on the live broadcast by the end of the Treehouse showcase?
• (10:13) Will a stage that has never been seen in a Smash Bros. game be revealed, making the total more than 103?
• (11:51) Will the blurred menu mode, suggested to be called “Spirits,” be a story-based spiritual successor to Subspace Emissary?
• (14:07) Will more than three new boss characters, not seen in any previous Smash Bros. game as bosses, be revealed?
• (15:30) Will a brand new Smash Bros. mode be revealed, other than Spirits?
• (17:07) Will either Smash Run or Smash Tour return?
• (18:04) Will Board the Platforms or a character-specific Break the Targets mode return?
• (19:14) Will the specific terms “For Fun” and “For Glory” be featured as menu selections in a discussion of the online multiplayer mode?
• (20:30) Will Mii fighters with customized costumes be confirmed for online play?
• (21:13) Will we see a new character-specific conversation event, aside from Codec Calls, Palutena’s Guidance, and Star Fox Conversations?
• (22:52) Will we see any evidence that the music library contains more than two Final Fantasy tracks?
• (24:03) Will players be able to change the order of how the character or stage select screens are arranged?
• (25:01) Will we learn what the mystery sprout item is?
• (26:54) Will there be any talk of DLC plans?
• (28:17) Will a Global TestSmash or demo be announced?
• (29:46) Will Sakurai be live in-person on the post-Direct Treehouse broadcast?
(31:37) BIG BOSS PREDICTIONS
• (31:49) Youko: The character/roster results from the Direct will be viewed as better than the Box Theory, but worse than the Grinch Leak. Out of all the non-echo newcomers from the Grinch Leak, Mach Rider has the best chance of being revealed as a playable character. Minecraft’s representation in the game will be shown as Creeper as an Assist Trophy.
• (34:44) Super: Crocomire will be revealed as a boss character
• (35:18) TonyTH: The Grinch Leak is real, but Banjo-Kazooie will be shown at Microsoft’s XO18 event
Your weekly weekend podcasting source recaps the biggest news in anticipation of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – Youko returns with Super and TonyTH to discuss the delayed Nintendo Direct and what Smash Bros. reveal could be incoming, an email tip about wireless Gamecube controllers at GameStop, David Hayter claims to not have recorded any Snake lines yet, a music update that gives a Metal Gear Solid flair to Mario, Final Destination rounds up this week’s Smash Blog updates, and a question from Zenjestr about current assist trophies we would like to see as playable characters
(22:46) SMASH BLOG UPDATES
• (22:58) Ike
• (25:19) King Dedede
• (29:30) Fortress Boss (Super Mario Bros. 3)
• (32:46) Final Destination
• (35:36) Alolan Exeggutor
• (38:11) NOT POSTED
• Zenjestr: “If Sakurai had a special Fighter Ballot this time around where we could select any two KO’able assist trophies (so no Moon, Nintendog, Pong, etc.) as playable fighters, who would you EXPECT to win and who would you WANT to win.”
Your weekly weekend podcasting source recaps the biggest news in anticipation of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – Youko returns with Super and TonyTH to discuss the massive Smash Bros. Direct, Simon Belmont and King K. Rool are newcomers, three new echo fighters suggest there are more to come, the full stage list leaves out certain favorites from past titles, a blurred section on the main menu has been deciphered as “Spirits,” rumors that reference the new characters, the Bomber item rounds up this week’s Smash Blog updates, and a question from Zenjestr about where our current character and echo fighter predictions stand
(3:59) SMASH BROS. DIRECT BREAKDOWN
• (4:08) The Pre-Hype
• (6:48) Castlevania with Simon and Richter
• (18:11) Chrom and Dark Samus
• (26:15) Stage Showcase
• (45:19) My Music
• (53:50) Rules
• (59:48) Battle Modes
• (1:06:24) Items
• (1:08:34) Pokémon
• (1:10:05) Assist Trophies
• (1:14:03) Main Menu and “Spirits”
• (1:16:47) King K. Rool
(1:32:28) SMASH BLOG UPDATES
• Website Update
• Bloody Tears / Monster Dance
• Simon Belmont
• King K. Rool
• (1:09:39) Zenjestr: “There’s a rumor that we have “half a dozen” roster reveals left until release. Assuming this is true, which characters do you think we’ll get and how many of them do you think will be echo fighters?”
Your weekly weekend podcasting source recaps the biggest news in anticipation of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – Youko returns with Super and our guest Alex O’Neill from Irrational Passions to discuss the breaking news of EVO 2018 Melee Finals and a Smash Bros. Direct announcement, how Smash Bros. Ultimate and Wii U were presented at EVO, a Generation VII Pokémon representative rumor, Jigglypuff and Wario bring the humor in their screenshots, Lylat Cruise rounds up this week’s Smash Blog updates, and questions from Max Roberts and Phantomstar64 about how stage selection should be arranged and our favorite amiibo
• (1:09:39) Max Roberts: “How do you think stages will be organized/handled in Ultimate? With the possibility of 100+ stages, it seems messy and daunting to just throw them up on pages and have people scroll through.”
• (1:14:01) Phantomstar64: “What are some of your favorite amiibo?”