We are shortly coming up on Super Bowl Sunday, a day which may mean a variety of different things for you.
Regardless of where your interests lie – the American football championship between the Denver Broncos and Seattle Seahawks that Joel and I predicted or the brand new commercials – this is the biggest television event of the year. In fact, last year’s Super Bowl is estimated to have had 108.4 MILLION viewers, making it one of the most watched television programs in American history. However, we here at the Show Me Your News Network would also like to recognize another reason that can bring everyone together…
The Spezia brothers have hosted Super Bowl parties for the past few years and good food is a must. So whether you have been to one of our parties, or you want to experience it through what you eat, we offer our recipes for you to try and make tonight or for future gatherings of friends. You can find them below!
Super Bowl Punch
1 gallon – Fruit punch (recommended: Hawaiian Punch – fruit punch red flavor)
2 liters – Ginger ale (recommended: Canada Dry ginger ale)
12 fl oz – Orange juice concentrate (from a can, pulp optional)
(OPTIONAL) – 750 ml – Key lime rum (recommended: Captain Morgan Parrot Bay)
Instructions: Make sure orange juice concentrate is melted before mixing. Mix well in large punch bowl. Ingredients can be mathematically scaled to make more or less.
Credit: One of Peter’s college roommates
1 pint – Sour cream
1 pkg. or 1/4 cup – Taco mix
1/2 to 3/4 cup – Salsa
8 oz. or enough to thicken – Finely shredded cheddar cheese
Instructions: Mix all ingredients together and enjoy with tortilla chips. Best to make a few hours ahead or overnight. Ingredients can be mathematically scaled to make more or less.
Credit: One of Peter and Marc’s aunts
Mini Crescent Dogs (Pigs-in-a-Blanket)
2 cans (8 oz. each) Pillsbury refrigerated crescent dinner rolls
48 cocktail-sized smoked link sausages or hot dogs (from 16 oz. package)
– Heat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Unroll both cans of the dough; separate into 16 triangles. Cut each triangle lengthwise into 3 narrow triangles.
– Place sausage on shortest side of each triangle. Roll up each, starting at shortest side of triangle and rolling to opposite point; place point side down on 2 ungreased cookie sheets.
– Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown, switching position of cookie sheets halfway through baking. Immediately remove from cookie sheet. Serve warm.
What’s that? There’s more?
The point is simple. Whether or not you know much about football, these questions can be easily answered before the game begins. At the game’s conclusion, we tally up points and a winner is decided! Now, at the Spezia Super Bowl party, they hand out prizes, but on the SMYN Forums, you could get bragging rights!
– Will Renee Fleming add/omit a National Anthem word?
– How long will the National Anthem be?
– Will Denver’s Knowshon Moreno cry and his large tears are captured on camera during the National Anthem?
– Which team will win the coin toss – Denver (DEN) or Seattle (SEA)?
– Which sideline reporter will be shown on TV first after kick-off?
ERIN ANDREWS/PAM OLIVER
– Will the first offensive play be a run or a pass?
– Will the first commercial after kickoff advertise a car, beer, or other?
– Which team scores first?
– Will the first score be a touchdown?
– Which player scores first?
PLAYER NAME (3 pts)
– Will the team that scores first win the game?
– Which team gets the first penalty?
– Which team commits the first turnover?
– Which team makes the first coach’s challenge?
– Will a “roughing the passer” penalty be called during the game?
– Will Bruno Mars be wearing a hat at the start of his halftime show?
– Will any member of the Red Hot Chili Peppers be shirtless during their performance?
– Will Richard Sherman intercept a pass for Seattle?
– Will there be a second half lead change?
– Will the score be tied at any point after 0-0?
– Will Denver or Seattle rush for more yards?
– Does Golden Tate (SEA) end up with more than 6 fantasy points (10 yards = 1 pt, Touchdown = 6 pts)?
– Will snow fall during the game?
– How many times will the announcers plug “New Girl,” following the game?
– How many times will Peyton Manning say “Omaha” during the game?
– With the legalized states involved, will the announcers reference marijuana during the game?
– Will the game end with a kneeldown?
– How many total points will be scored?
OVER/UNDER 47 pts
– Which team wins the game?
DEN/SEA (3 pts)
– What color will the dumped Gatorade be?
COLOR (3 pts)
– Who wins Most Valuable Player?
PLAYER NAME (5 pts)
We also play with an additional variation for the live party, where Super Bowl Squares are involved. Instead of money being on the line, winners get more points!
First Quarter – 2 pts
Halftime – 3 pts
Third Quarter – 2 pts
FINAL SCORE – 5 pts
Are there any recipes you find yourself going back to every year? Share them with us! Also, let us know if you’ve tried any of these before, or if you will attempt any of them tonight! Do you dare answering the prop bet questions? We hope you have a great Super Bowl Sunday!